Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our Little Duramax

Shane really wanted a dog after we got married, but I wasn't sure if we would be able to handle it. So, we decided to start with something small. We got Max. His actual name when we adopted him was Sprite and it took us forever to rename him so we kept calling him "Kitty." Realizing that we shouldn't call him "Kitty" for the rest of his life, my mom suggested Duramax. This cat could purr like no other when we got him. His purring was loud and deep, just like Shane's truck. Therefore, we now call him Max for short. When we got him, he was sooooo small. We adopted him at the PetsMart Superadoption. Shane picked him out. Now this is where the story gets a little weird. While we were doing the paperwork to adopt Max, my dad called my phone and left a message to let me know that they were taking my other cat, Tabitha, to the vet to be put to sleep. Due to those circumstances, Max really means a lot to me. However, he wanted nothing to do with me when we got him home. All he wanted to do was cuddle with Shane. I think he felt safe with him. Eventually he realized that he needed to be nice to me and we cuddle all the time now. Shane and I enjoyed having him in our lives so much we decided that maybe we could handle getting him a little sister or brother. One month later, we got Buddy. Everyone always thinks "cats and dogs?" but the get along great. Max has picked up mannerisms from Buddy and vice versa. Buddy barks at people walking down the street, Max growls, not meows, GROWLS at the birds in the backyard. One of their favorite past times in the summer is chasing flies and bees together in the backyard. I can't tell you how much I love our little, furry family!
Max was so little when we first brought him home, he would slide between the cracks on our couch.
He was very light when we got him, but 1 1/2 years later he is gray and striped.

Max likes going outside and exploring our backyard. I can always depend on Buddy to round him up to go inside the house.


He always has a serious, but loving look on his face.
For some reason, he crawled inside my freshly washed and folded clothes to take a nap.

1 comment:

James and DeAnn Stroud said...

Hey I finally have stuff on my blog :) And I actually figured out how to do all this crazy stuff.. Well I had Megan help me I didn't feel like spending time trying to figure it out...